Monday 15 September 2014

Itay Talgam: Lead like the great conductors

What is the role of the conductor?

Conducting is a career, and role within an orchestra, that I have never really thought about. My first experience with a conductor was probably when I was around age 8. I was in the Junior String Orchestra, at the Kincardine Summer Music Festival. I can’t say I understand what the conductor’s role was then, other than they were somehow keeping us “together”.  It wasn’t until my first year university that I ever paid any attention to the conductor. I found myself in the back of the viola section, completely lost. Thank God for Paul Pulford and his clear indication of the downbeat! Over the years, my orchestral training afforded me the opportunity to work with many different conductors, all of which had different conducting gestures, however what remains as a common thread throughout, is not how they “controlled” the ensemble, but how we were all there for the experience, of playing together. 

In 2011 I found myself in a role I had never even considered, conductor of the NSYO Junior Strings Orchestra. I remember my very first rehearsal; I was in front of 20-some-odd kids, without a baton, waving my arms trying desperately to gain control of the situation. Then, Mark David (Conductor of the NSO) stopped by, just to see how everything was going. I was mortified. I had no idea what I was doing, and I certainly didn’t want his witness!

Itay Telgam spoke at length about the role of the conductor. What do they do, really? Since 2011 I have become hyper aware of conductors and their gestures, and have been subconsciously decided what I liked and didn’t like as an ensemble member, so that when I conduct the Junior Strings, I only bring them the best I have to offer.  Itay Telgam also describes the very delicate balance of control, yet also the freedom of the ensemble. I learned more than 200 words will allow me to express!

Since starting this degree (a whopping 10 days ago!) I have fallen in love with education, even more-so than I ever thought I loved it, and am overflowing with excitement for all that is to come! I loved Telgam’s friend’s quote: “If you love something, give it away.”  I can’t honestly think of a better thing to do.